View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Senior Benz fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dculkin
Having just purchased a new chain and a used peening tool, I am having a hard time being objective about this issue. I must say, the thread linked by DieselAddict is persuasive. I am especially concerned about the failures caused by improper installation, which is why I bought the fancy peening tool.

The problem I have with Beagle's recommendations is that I don't have the equipment or skill to do the measurements described in his post. I also don't know a mechanic who I would trust to do it.

Part of me is tempted to check the elongation using the dial indicator method described in the FSM and then replace the chain when I see some elongation. My reservation with doing it that way is that I don't have a baseline measurement. I would have to assume that the motor started out right at spec.

Why can't life be simple?
I look at it as the same as paying $25 for an oil analysis that tells you you can extend your oild change 1,500 miles....its easier and cheaper to do the frequent schedulaed changes.

Same with TIming chain....you might go through 2 maybe 3 of these in the life of the motor...finding out when its going to be time is going to cost you almost as much as a preemptive replacement...if you pay to have it checked just a couple times..................another case of being penny wise and pound foolish....
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche