View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005, 08:34 AM

I have a 2000 Golf GLS 2.0 and a 2001 GTI GLX (thats a loaded GTI with the VR6). These are great cars. I've owned VWs for many years and the Mk. IV chassis is a quantum leap over the earlier cars. Fit and finish rivals anything out there. I have trouble justifying my Mercedes compared to the VWs.

The coilpacks were never much of an issue on the VR6. The window regulator clips might be if they haven't been changed yet. The MAF sensors tend to go bad between 50K and 100K miles, but there is a really cheap fix. Buy a 2.0 sensor, remove the sensor itself from the housing and install it in the VR6 housing (the sensors carry the same BOSCH number). The 2.0 sensor is about $50 retail at the dealer. I learned that trick in the FAQ section of the Golf/Jetta IV forum on vwvortex. I don't browse the rest of the forum much because the FAQ section really pulls out all the important info from the BS. The following link is an excellent part source (Auburn VW in WA state) http://www.1stvwparts.com/index.html

I would get the paper version of the Bentley Manual. I have the paper version for the Golf/GTI and a CD for the Passat - I don't like the CD. It's hard to use and ridiculous to print anything.

You might also consider buying the VAG-COM software from www.ross-tech.com . It will read EVERYTHING on any VW/AUDI/SEAT/SKODA chassis. It is very reasonably priced and very, very well developed. A major resource that I just can't match for Mercedes.