View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 08:39 AM
LarryBible

dtf,

Sorry for speaking in code. There are about a half dozen vacuum pods in the 124 climate control system that operate various doors and flaps. They will deteriorate with age, not mileage. You have to pull the dash to replace them, so it is strongly advised to replace all of them if you are replacing one because it is about the same amount of work. Since it is a significant job, someone here on mshop coined the phrase "podectomy."

psfred,

I too believe in thorough diagnosis, although I sometimes get antsie and dive in. In the case of the 124 evaporator, it has such a failure history that it is all too easy to make a quick scan and then just jump on the common failure. Since I was not going to tackle the evaporator job for awhile, I might have examined a little closer given the size of the job.

There are some folks here that feel that 124 evap failure is 100% inevitable, I personally think that not 100% of them will fail. I also find it hard to believe that I will be lucky enough not to be one of the people that dodge the bullet.

Have a great day,