View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 04:33 PM
LarryBible

Tim,

I do agree that replacing the pods if the dash is apart is a good idea, but replacing the evaporator or heater core just because the dash is apart would not be justified unless there are indications of them leaking. The pods always deteriorate with age, but this is not necessarily so with the other two items.

The evaporators are not guaranteed to fail and niether is the heater core. In fact, I believe that disturbing a tight a/c system to replace the evaporator might cause more problems than it cures. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

When I did my podectomy last year, I did in fact replace the heater core because it had previously leaked and I had stopped the leak with bars leaks for what I considered a temporary fix a year or two earlier. Since I was going under the dash I would certainly replace it while there. Had there been no other indications of heater core failure, I would not have done it.

Also, once I saw that pulling the dash was not as horrible as some folks claimed that it was, I decided that since the a/c system was showing no signs of a leak, I would not disturb the evap., thus did not disturb the a/c system.

Have a great day,