View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Down to the Wear Bars

"Actually, a very long-term member here, JCE, bought it for his son. I let it go for $6,000.00"

And he is Lovin' it! He is likely to turn into an obsessive-compulsive now that he is in the MB fold - reading his owners manual, studying up on waxes, etc. (but there aren't many mods left for him to consider, thanks to Paul ). He had occasionally driven our 98 C230 (Koni sports, 16" wheels, Summer performance tires), and our 87 Sportlined 300E (Yoko ES 100s) before getting Paul's car, and had commented to me about the different feel between them. His comments were similar to Paul's comments above, and he has repeated them since he has been driving a 124 on a daily basis: basically, less convenience and creature comfort in the 124, but more 'soul' and feeling of solid construction.

He even noted the difference in sound between the sound of the hoods closing on the 3 cars. The 87 sounds like a bank vault closing. The C230 sounds solid, but with a bit of Toyota/Honda metalic clang. Paul's car sounds in between the two - closer to the 87 300E, but not quite as solid. Closing the hood on our 88 Acura Legend 5 spd coupe never sounded as solid as it's contemporary, the 300E - and the hood on the Acura had to be open WAY more often than the MBs hood, believe me.

2003 Firemist Red/grey leather SL 500
2015 Palladium Silver/black mbtex GLK 350
1987 Smoke Silver/burgundy mbtex 300E Sportline (SOLD)

Click to see 87 300E