View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 300D owner
1. When I change the the large fuel filter on the 87 300D do I have to purge out the air? If so how do you do this?
The OM603 IP is self-purging, be prepared to crank a bit. 30 seconds crank, let it rest a minute. Repeat...

Quote:
2. I want to fill the large filter with a diesel fuel purge/additive. Are there particular brands you recomend. It is ok to us what pepboys carrys? Are there certain products to stay away from that could cause damage?
I have no preference. LubroMoly Diesel Purge seems popular.

Quote:
3. How do I remove the glow plugs to check their resistance? I have the factory manual but it is sometimes hard to navigate.
Good news, you don't have to remove them! Find the relay, under hood, left front fender. Unsnap the protective top, unplug the 6-wire connector, measure each plug to ground.

Quote:
4. How long do glow plugs and injectors last. If one goes as a preventive measure should I replace the rest?
There is no set GP 'life' that I have found. Several of us, myself included, will tell you "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so we recommend replacing only parts that have tested as "bad." I replaced #4 and #6 GP last Fall, there rest are still OK...

Injectors can be rebuilt, there is a debate on quality of parts. If they aren't obviously bad, I'd say leave them alone for the time being...

Best Regards,
Jim