View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrei
Have you checked that at full throttle the vacuum control lever is within 0.020" of the pin? What vacuum reading do you get when you Mityvac the vacuum control with the lever 10 mm from the pin? (IIRC factory spec is between 6 to 8 inHg) It sounds like you are getting too much vacuum to the vacuum modulator on the trans. causing the soft early shifts. So you have 2 options increase the modular pressure by screwing in the key under the vacuum cap of the vacuum modulator mount on the trans or decrease the vacuum coming out of vacuum control on the IP. I tuned mine to shift the hardest I can tolerate between the 1-2 shift which minimizes the flaring between the 2-3 shift.
Yes, I have the .020" at full throttle. I didn't bother with the 10mm reading because I knew at full throttle I was only getting down to between 10 and 5 in. I played with the vacuum control adjust (under the dome cap) and only could improve it marginally. I also started turning the key on the modulator, bit figured why screw with that when I'm not getting the vacuum down to where it needs to be before it is delivered to the modulator anyway.

So, could my vacuum control be bad because it is not bleeding enough vacuum out, or could it be the little finger actuator on top of the valve cover. It sure is weird that things went really screwy after I drilled the 1/16" at the T. I had done the same drilling on my '79 300D and it didn't go crazy like this is. So I kind of think I just got the vacuum level to where it needs to be coming off the T, but the control valve or something else is not bleeding enough off.
'79 300D - (sold)