View Single Post
Old 05-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Stella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
Actually it was in quite good condition and it could easily be ascertained that it was not a hex socket. The Torx fit the fastener quite well but the fastener would not take the torque. It might have been possible that the T-50 was too small, but, it fit almost perfectly. But, my experience with Torx is limited, so, it is definitely possible that I made an error there.
Brian, I had the EXACT same problem when I R&Red the axles on my SDL. The Torx fastner you describe was fused in place and removal with the proper tool wasn't an option. To get the bolt out, I had to take a Sawzall and cut away the metal part of the big washer that the bolt seats against and then use a pipe wrench on the now-exposed head of the bolt. I had to replace the bonded rubber/steel washer thingy becasue it was destroyed in this process. I couldn't see any reason to ever dork around with a socket-head bolt again so I used a cut-off saw and removed the head from a Toyota engine head bolt I had lying around. The bolt head had a nice little washer-like surface just under the flats for the wrench which made a sweet place to neatly weld the Toyota bolt head to the old socket-head bolt. I used a normal 14mm socket to install and tighten and, if I ever have to take it apart again, I'll be able to remove that bolt without having to attack it with a sawzall!!!!! See drawing below...
Attached Thumbnails
3.07 to 2.47 gear swap 300sd 100/k-snap-copy.jpg