View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 10:09 AM
dieselarchitect

euro

i have one like yours. we rebuilt it. it doesnt have the special features such as the oil jets and special pistons which you reference. internally it is identical to a 240d, infact, we used some 240 pistons in rebuilding it. the only obvious difference to the us 300d is the injection pump which has different injection line routing. i dont know if it has differences which enhance performance, my opinion is if there are there not very significant. my advice is if you want a turbo motor go get one and rebuild that. the turbomotors are different in many ways and are much more robust. the cranks are different, the pulleys and balancers and oil pans. if you sit them side by side the differences are many and very apparent. the non turbo motors are very nice though and are nice to drive, expecially with a stick. mine will go 100 mph and accelerates nothing like a 240.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.