Thread: 1997 C230 Ac
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 02:12 PM

1997 C230 Ac

First i'd like to say hello to everyone, this is a fantastic resource and the contributions by some of you are extremely insightful. Ive done an enormous amount of reading about my current ac problem and i think i've narrowed down the possibilities.

I have a 1997 C230 with 129,000 on the clock. I purchased this car 4 years ago and its been an amazing vehicle. My wife drives the car and last July the air stopped working. I was in the middle of building a house and until now its not been a high priority to get it working again but now with summer around the corner we need to get this resolved.

I can say that for a year or so when we ran the air the car would make a rattling sound which I thought was the tensioner often mentioned in posts on this board. When the air was shut off the sound dissapated. In retrospect it may have been the compressor going south.

I pulled the dtc's and get 419 and 421. The prior relates to the clutch the latter to the pulse control module. I tried resetting the dtc's and the same come back immediately. The pressure was low so i added a can of refrigerant. The compressor does not seem to turn or engage at all. I've tried disconnecting the ect sensor, jumping the pressure switch and yelling at it to no avail.

The actual values are as follows:
1)105F 2)60F 3)82F 5)82F 6)134 7)Lo 8)77F 9)50F 10)50.5 21)80

After i put the can of 134a in yesterday the pressure at 7 read 3.7 bars so obviously it leaked out somewhere.

Any ideas anyone.

Best Regards
George