View Single Post
Old 05-22-2005, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykg4orce
An update.

After discovering metal shavings around the clutch pully, saw that the pully was rubbing against the crankshaft pully, slowly sanding off the metal exposing the aluminum below. Anyway when I was moving the fan back and fourth I saw no movement, well I attempted to lift the clutch pully with my hand, as to move it up, it actually moved quiet a bit. When I took the belt off, it was apparent that the bearings have been worn out.

I am going to need a new pully as well, because the edges on the pully (aft side) have been worn down. I already have a new clutch on the way. I am wondering tho, is it possible to repair the bearings in the bracketery. I mean there must be a way instead of replacing the whole unit.....????

Any thoughts....
Bingo, Exactly what failed on mine. If you can find the bearing itself, and have the tools to press it off from the bracket, I'm sure that would do the job. If not, It's quite straightforward to replace the whole "bearing bracket". Here's the one I got for my '87 260E. Same vendor. Bearing bracket. It should be the same as yours.

That special tool you have circled in the PDF is just a piece of wire that you stick between the two bumps on the bearing bracket and into a hole in the back of the fan clutch pulley. A piece of industrial strength coat hanger wire would do it. You can see the two bumps in your pdf. They are at about 1 o'clock on the pulley bearing. A strong flashlight really helps. First unclip the fan shroud and move it back for access. Then unscrew the fan/clutch with an 8mm allen wrench. Once that's off, you can pull the fan/clutch and the shroud up together. Then it's pretty straightforward from there on.

HTH,

Last edited by nglitz; 05-22-2005 at 05:49 PM.