View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 03:46 PM

Forum solved my problem, I'm a hero

Drove the hot rod to work yesterday. Home at noon to walk the dogs, decided to take the MB back because of the high heat index. Uh oh, cranks but no fire. Dang, it worked fine Saturday! Dribble some gas in the plenum and it fires so it's not the coil again. I remember something on the forum about the fuel pump relay. Back to work in the hot rod and use co. time to search for answers. After work (and mowing the lawn in this heat!) I pull the relay, jumper pins 30 and 87 and THUMP!, I've got fuel pressure. Crank it and it fires right up. Cut the seal on the relay and pop the cover and find a nightmare! Open frame relays on a circuit board with NO mechanical support! The leads hold them down. Naturally, the combination of heat and vibration broke a solder joint. Resolder all the joints, pop the cover on, seal with RTV and re-install. Fires right up. My wife thinks I'm a hero for not spending any money to fix a car that was dead not five hours before. Thanks to all the forum members who wrote replies to people who had this problem. Without you, I wouldn't be a hero.
'31 Ford Slant Windshield Town Sedan
'33 Ford Pickup
'34 Ford Pickup
'01 Honda Passport