View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Delor
Hi y'all!

Looks like my Star Tac finally bit the dust... We had a downpour the other day (so what else is new in Fla?) and it got a bit wet. Now, the caller can't hear me.

I called the phone mart today and asked if they had something equivalent in quality/durability. The person on the other end said that I would have to come in and see what they have, since "everybody else that's had one of those dinosaurs hasn't liked anything else".
That phone has lasted me over 3 years with the same battery. It's only Archilles heel was the antenna that would sometimes fall back into the chassis. (no biggie, I had some old star tac analogs that I used for parts)

Anybody have recommendations for a decent cell phone? ...something 123 like?

Thanks!

-Larry

That is about as close to a perfec comparison as you can get.

I've tried all the new phones and end up selling on ebay and going back to a startac. Am using my 7868W right now as the LG VX3200 broke after about a week and I'm reluctant to try it again.

If you have Verizon, it's cake to login online and change your phone ESN yourself. In one day I changed three phones (two buggy startacs and then to the timeport until I found a good startac.)

You can try ebay, but the last three I bought "in perfect" condition and "like new" were all buggy pieces of crap that looked like they went through hell, so don't believe ANYTHING that a seller says about it. Even the "NEW" startacs are "refurbs" are are crap.

You might check out a timeport. They are the same electronics, keypad, etc. as the startac, but a color LED display and they go in their holster backwards so no using the organizer with them (at least not holstered.)

I have one of these in good cond if you want to try it (cheap - I keep as a backup in case my startac falls in a plating bucket - happens a lot to me.)

Other than that, don't try the V265 or about any other motorola products anymore. They don't even come CLOSE to a startac. Actually, the LG VX3200 was a decent phone, but it went out the window losing reception switching from dig to analog area (the startac has much better reception and sound quality than any of the newer phones.)

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol