Thread: 420sels?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 12:16 PM
BigPoppaBenz

deephate --

my dad bought our 1988 420sel 11 years ago and he gave it to me 2 years ago. we've put over 140,000 miles on it since 1994 and it has probably been the most inexpensive car we have owned. however, when repairs do come along the are EXPENSIVE. We have been fortunate to not have the common air conditioner problems, but the timing chain did fail at 35,000 miles and the engine had to be completely rebuilt. This was covered by mercedes, but would have otherwise been VERY expensive.

so bottom line - I feel that I have been very lucky with this car and I love it. It looks great, drives well, but at 17 years old I'm starting to see the end of this cars functional life. For example, my car is worth about $3000 probably, but just a few months ago I had to replace the rotors, pads, and tires (~$1000). I just can't justify that many more repairs, especially because my transmission vibrates a bit and it's just not as safe as I would like it.

I say buy it if you want a project and a nice car to drive when you are done. As a daily driver, I wouldn't recommend it if you need very reliable transportation. Be sure to use the search and read as much as you can about these cars and be ready to open up the wallet. Delayed repairs can be costly.

Peter
1988 420sel
1988 300e (sold)
1982 300sd (sold)