View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 08:48 PM
General Purpose Geek

I don't mean to scare you but it's really important to follow the procedures in the manuals especially if this is the first time you've done this or are not an experienced mechanic. Bending the valves "a little" is very bad. The comments above about removing the tensioner and the spark plugs are worth repeating. I wouldn't dare do this job without doing both of those steps first. if you even THINK that you've jumped the chain, it might be worth stopping, taking a deep breath, and getting local help. I am not an expert mechanic, so I bought a "cap" that fits over the RH cam gear, which makes jumping the chain while doing this procedure effectively impossible. It was $50, but I looked at it as "insurance".

You HAVE removed one entire link from the old chain, correct? And the RH (passenger) head rockers? because the RH cam isn't really in sync anymore with the tensioner and tension removed, it definitely CAN get out of sync while doing this and without the chain and tensioner being installed, allowing valves to touch if the rockers are still in.

If you haven't done these things, please don't proceed and post again!
Daily Driver Project

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm