View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 08:36 PM
LarryBible

Quote:
Originally Posted by diametricalbenz
I think you answered your own question. If it's slipping with the clutch fully released and or your engine flares when accelerating then you know you're clutch needs replacing.

160k on an original clutch is amazing! At least around here it would be since driving consists of moving 10 feet at a time.

I take it the 2.2 isn't drag raced that often

Clutch life probably has more to do with how the car is driven more than anything. My 300E is a little over 280,000 miles with the original clutch and still doing great. My first 240D went to about 250,000 on the original clutch and my second 240D went to over a half million miles with only two replacements.

My 88 Vette even went about 110,000 miles on the original clutch.

Learn to drive it with minimal slippage and limit the power while the clutch is doing it's slipping. Once the clutch is fully engaged, you can gas the heck out of it, but a ginger throttle during start off is essential to long clutch life.

Now for the original question. Clutch failure will be indicated by either slipping, chattering or failure to release. If the clutch is not releasing make SURE that the problem is not hydraulic before replacing the clutch assembly itself.

Have a great day,