View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Strong, silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebenz
I was at the local dealership yesterday and saw a new, 500 CLS. Looks factory chopped and channeled, very gangsta’. Then I saw another one in the shop that was lowered with 22” wheels and tires about as thick as a single band of electrical tape. I commented to the SA that the owner had more $$ than brains. He laughed and said the 22” wheels (and car) belonged to one of the local BB players. Later I was talking with the owner, who was delighted to tell me about their 3rd store opening north of town. A Lexus dealer had a new facility built across the street from their current one, and the dealer owner (Phil Smart) got an okay to expand from MBUSA and leased the old Lexus building. He was grinning ear to ear like a kid wit a new toy. Based on this, it is pretty clear that a) the economy, at least locally is doing really well, and that, b) MBUSA isn’t terribly hit by issues of declining quality….

And the dealer had a lot of nice toys. I saw a shiny new E55 4-matic wagon, and their entire used car collection were almost all AMG, half SLs and the sole non AMG standout amongst the cars was a cool white colored ‘96 S420 with about 28K miles on it. They also had several of the new generation of ML and a couple of G55s.

What is scary about my avatar?
Deers are scary to me. Mountain lions I have no problems with. Sharks, I don't fear (you kow, I am a lawyer, so I get professional courtesy from sharks). But deers...that's a whole different story.

The economy, at the very top levels, is doing great. Also, lots of people with too much equity in their homes are taking equity out to buy fancy cars that they could not otherwise afford. I personally know of people driving cars that they cannot afford. But they cashed out ont heir equity and now they have the fancy car...IMHO that is the worst possible use for home equity. But then again, my wife and I are a couple of tight wads!

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!