View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 08:48 PM
617T powered Land Rover

T-Walgamuth, right from the manual:

For engine 615 and 616 the crankshaft, balance plate and flywheel are balanced as one assembly.

In contrast, engine 617 is balanced as a whole, i.e. the entire engine is balanced on a balancing machine.

Since this balancing operation cannot be executed in a repair shop, and as engine balance has to be maintained as well as possible, it is necessary to adjust the balance of a new flywheel to that of the old one. This applies equally well to new flywheels for engines 615 and 616.

It seems in most cases the flywheels may be balanced to neutral. In my case I believe that’s the case as both engines ran smoothly at all rpms. And I never marked the flywheel at all.

In 82-300td’s case, I think if he were to put a 250 gram “off-balance” flywheel on an automatic car I think there would be trouble.

“Half the torque converter is bolted to that plate... that should bring the total rotating mass up to pretty close to a manual flywheel.”

That mass isn’t as important as the fact the a torque converter will by it’s nature help balance an engine.

IMO, it’s not whether the flywheel is balanced or not…it seems that some are and some aren’t. It’s the fact that on a 240 the flywheel should stay with the original crank shaft and if it doesn’t, you need to match the balance of a new flywheel to the old one.

If David can’t find the original flywheel for the crankshaft he has, the next best thing would be to balance the one he’s got to neutral and hope for the best.

jim