View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 04:32 PM

Ah, you know kids, might have but wouldnt admit it.

did talk to dealer today. Best case senerio, bad injector, second best, blown head gasket, third best, cracked head, and you dont even want to know about worst case.

I am going to stick to my plans of checking injectors first and then pressure testing the coolant chamber to see if I can determine a leak. The pressure test isnt that hard to do with a tractor. Just unhook the radiator hoses and plug and then pump in a little air, watch the pressure guage to see if it leaks off. Dont get carried away with the air pressure, about 14 lbs is plenty, to much and you can blow out freeze plugs. If you try this in an automobile be sure to unhook and plug the heater hoses as well. If it doesnt leak any air at first, I will crank it up and let it get warm and then pressure test again. Any air leak is a sure sign of a water leak and then its time to tear it down. No air leak and then I will be stumped as what to do next. I just about believe it has a blown or cracked head but it just doesnt act like a gas motor would if it had a blown head gasket or cracked head. The bad part is that this is my busy season and now my tractor is down and since it is a specialty tractor none of my attachments will fit another tractor type. Meaning I just cant go rent another tractor and everything will work. I have a two point hitch set up with a front pto instead of the usuall three point and rear pto.

The machine shouldnt take long to fix as it is fairly simple, its just waiting on those durn parts. New engine is $4500, seems awful high for an overgrown lawnmower.