View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 05:31 PM
backwoods member

"Use your old risers to draw a pattern on a 2 x 12. They can easily be cut with a handsaw if necessary.

Also, check out Home Depot risers. While perhaps not exactly the same as what exists, they might be capable of being used. I've added concrete pavers under the standard risers to get the exact height.

I've used both of the above techniques with success.
"

That’s what I did for the test, which was only 3 steps long. I bought a radial arm saw which works okay. But I don’t think I could cut 3 of these identically even with the use of the saw. I don’t know if the saw would permit securing 3 2x12s and cut them all at the same time. Because of back problems, doing this with a hand saw is not gonna happen and a sawzall (my favorite tool) doesn’t cut straight enough.

The steps have an 11” tread (depth) and a 6.75” rise) I thought about using the standard stuff available from HD but that would require substantial redesign. The stairway goes up about 12 steps, to a platform where it turns a corner then goes up another 7 steps to where it interfaces with a walkway. So it would be a PITA to change the step size

Is there a suitable power tool for cutting these 3 at a time?

'00 ML320 "Casper"
'92 400E "Stella"