View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
Andy, can't you deal with the bad thread right on the vehicle? That thread is readily accessible at the top of the engine, correct?? Putting a Helicoil in it would be easy for a machinist.

Also, can you comment on who did the hot tank on the aluminum parts? What solution did they use?

I've been told that they can't hot tank aluminum due to the problems with chemical decomposition of the aluminum.
I think the threaded hole is open to the intake manifold, so I was concerned that any threading for a helicoil might put filings into the intake. I will check though. Maybe I can just fit a helicoil into the existing thread and use a smaller diameter bolt.

I'll try and find out what it is they used Brian. I did ask before I left the parts if it was OK to use with Aluminum and I was assured it was fine and that they use the same thing to clean out Aluminum Cylinder Heads. They also said that the hot-tank would remove some of the loose/soft crud, but that a bead blast would be required to get the rest.

Thanks Dieseldiehard, That is good news about the oil. I don't get any oil smoke except a little at cold start-up.
1999 Porsche Boxster Arena Red/Savanna Beige
1986 Porsche 928S Goldweiss/Brown