View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Dieselsüchtiger

Talking Shock,horror - posting this from at the Stealer

Yes its true, I am posting this thread from my laptop using the free wireless at the dealer and/or stealership. I am here for a valve adjustment because I decided I didn't want to deal with doing it myself this time.

I did do one small thing this morning myself though, I replaced all my tranny fluid and filter with Mobil 1 Synthetic!!! I never could have imagined how messy that job is, wshew. I did it in less than two hours though. I managed to get the torque converter plug to show up with minimal effort by turning the engine maybe 4-5" with a 22mm wrench on the PS pump bolt (I don't have a 27mm deep socket) I managed to get the drain plugs out of the pan and converter with not too much effort, but they were stubborn to break loose. Putting them back in I went as tight as I could muster with my little 5mm allen key and two hands, so I think it should be fine. I poured in 4 quarts of fluid, then started her up, let it idle a few mins, added a 5th quart, then ran it between D and R a few times, then added another quart and drove it around the neighborhood a little while, SO SMOOTH. Its far quieter, shifts are way smoother but very firm to engage, and the vast majority of that "shudder" I'd had when slowing down, now it is very minimal, or doesn't do it at all most of the time. YAY. Fourth gear engagement is also much nicer and firm, it used to slip and play around to engage, but now it does it very nice. Engageing Drive and Reverse are also much gentler, just like our 1983SD does it. Nice change!! Overall I am very happy with it so far...and I think I installed the pan and gasket right because there are no leaks...(yet) so far as I can tell, the pan is dry.
Also, there were no shavings or particles in the pan, it was clean, fluid was still sorta red, but there was varnish on the pan forming. I cleaned it all out.

Car should be running super well within a few hours! Valves/tranny/brakes all serviced now in the last 300 miles.

Now I think I'll sit here and surf/eat free food.
'09 Sprinter 3500 Winnebago View - 62k (OC - 67k)
'13 ML350 Bluetec - 95k - dad's (OC-98k)
'01 SL500 - 103k(km) - dad's (OC-110,000km)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 148k - Brothers (OC-155k)

Last edited by pawoSD; 10-17-2005 at 01:24 PM.