View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Dieselsüchtiger

Oh I didn't tighten the pan bolts too much, I used my small 3/8" drive wratchet with an extension and 13mm deep socket to do the pan bolts, and a 5mm allen key to do the plugs. I put my hand on pretty much the hub of the wratchet (didn't use any handle-amplified force) to tighten the pan bolts, so as to make sure I didn't over tighten them. I was lucky that it was windless outside for the first part of the job, but I still got dripped on a few times, the whole $##@ valve body just keeps dripping!!! It got on my face, hair, and ALL OVER my hands, it looked like I was a surgeon, with the red fluid and all

Also, I don't know why you all say to remove that big crossmember, its completely unnecessary to do so, just remove the plug from the torque converter and let it dribble into a pan off the crossmember, then wipe it off, I didn't spill any nor get any on me during that part, it was the pan part that was messy. As for finding that pesty little plug on the torque converter, mine also has that small opening with the "aluminum ribs", I tried using the key/starter to slightly move the engine half a crank at a time, but got sick of that, so I just put my 22mm wrench on the PS bolt and gently moved it an inch or so at a time, and kept going under and looking. Finally it came into view, I nudged the wrench a tad more, and it was nice and perfectly lined up. Then I proceeded to drain it. All in all it went pretty smoothly. Had I not wasted 35 mins finding that drain plug and getting it and the pan plug out the whole job would have been barely over an hour. Total fluid put into the tranny from empty was exactly 7qts. Sounds about right? Now I have 3 bottles left.

The mobil 1 really is great though. Its nice and smooth feeling now and shifts much better. I still think I am going to adjust the bowden cable a little though, if I don't use more than lightly touching the throttle its in 4th by 22mph. Is this normal? I'd like to drag 4th out to at least 30mph or so...somewhere higher than 22.
'09 Sprinter 3500 Winnebago View - 62k (OC - 67k)
'13 ML350 Bluetec - 95k - dad's (OC-98k)
'01 SL500 - 103k(km) - dad's (OC-110,000km)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 148k - Brothers (OC-155k)