View Single Post
Old 06-19-2001, 04:37 PM
Another View. . .

Gotta Disagree...

While I understand the logic of this suggestion, and I have seen it all over the internet recently, even being suggested by big insurance companies like Liberty Mutual, I can't help but see a few problems.

1. The side view mirrors on buses and trucks are the ONLY mirrors for seeing what's behind those vehicles. The drivers of these vehicles must rely on these mirrors to see what's behind them, as well as what's next to them.

2. Backing up into any confined space is considerably less safe and more difficult with your mirrors adjusted that far out, and not showing you the sides of your vehicle, and whatever low level hazards might be there.

3. There are small wide angle mirrors that can be attached to your existing mirrors to clear up those blind spots without sacrificing the ability to see the sides of your vehicle.

4. Use your neck! If you begin to trust your mirrors without turning your head to make a visual affirmation, you aren't driving safely, and will have a big surprise someday when you change lanes. In fact, not looking directly to either side when changing lanes can cost you points off your driver's test at most DMV's...

I adjust my mirrors in to show just a hint of the rear and sides of the vehicle, and down to show maximum traffic, and minimum sky while allowing a lower level view of poyential hazards. But most importantly, don't drive in the blind spots that you know exist for other drivers, and if you find yourself in another driver's blind spot, adjust your position in traffic.

Finally, there's this problem...

Scott Longston
Northern California Wine Country...
"Turbos whistle, grapes wine..."