Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 699
Brake reservoir part's name and part number?

Dear friends:

Please take a look at the attached image first.

I tried to flush and change the brake fluid on my 1984 300SD using Power Bleeder, which is designed to apply pressure on the fluid in the brake reservoir. However, the brake fluid kept leaking excessively through the 2 black rubber caps as shown in the image.

My questions are:

1) What are the proper name and part number for those 2 black rubber caps?

2) Before flushing, I sucked out the old black brake fluid from the brake reservoir. However it seems that my brake reservoir has 2 different "chambers", and I could only suck out the old brake fluid from the outer "chamber" because there's no hole through which I could suck out the fluid from in the inner "chamber". I saw a little plastic plug on the right side of the reservoir (in the image) and wondered whether this plug is used to drain the old fluid from the inner "chamber"?

I had changed brake fluid on a 1981 240D and did not encounter
a similar problem. Is there any big difference between 300SD and 240D brake reservoirs?

3) Have anyone tried to flush brake fluid using Power Bleeder on a 300SD? I'm still wondering whether 2 new rubber caps can keep the brake fluid from leaking under pressure from the Power Bleeder, because it looks like these 2 caps are only loosely attached to the brake reservoir.

Thank you very much for all your information!

Best regards,
Eric

Attached Thumbnails
Brake reservoir part's name and part number?-brake-reservoir.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-12-2003, 01:07 AM
lrg lrg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,163
They are called brake reservoir grommets and they do need to be replaced once in a while. The reservoir wiggles out (straight up) and the grommets will pop right out and the new ones right in (it takes two). It's an easy job if you don't count having to bleed all the air out afterward. Don't sweat the draining, both chambers will drain in about 3 seconds when you remove the resevoir, be prepared to catch it in a towel or some rags. Clean up the reservoir (I flushed mine with some fresh fluid), wet the two nipples on the bottom of the resevoir with brake fluid so they slide in easier and then align and press down on the resevoir until it seats. Refill, flush with clean fluid and bleed the air out. That's it.


Oh yea, I almost forgot, the grommets are available on Fastlane for about $1.50 each. Look under the brakes tab.

Oooops, further edit.....I reread your post and now realize you were talking about the rubber caps ON TOP of the resevoir. Sorry. I was thinking about the grommets underneath. I believe the black buttons on top are actually switches that trigger the low fluid warning light. you may be able to take those apart and reseal them otherwise I'm guessing it a dealer sourced part. Tell them it's the low brake fluid level switches and I'm sure they'll know what you mean.
__________________
LRG
1987 300D Turbo 175K
2006 Toyota Prius, efficent but no soul
1985 300 TDT(130K miles of trouble free motoring)now sold

Last edited by lrg; 06-12-2003 at 01:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-17-2007, 11:55 PM
JimmyL's Avatar
Rogue T Intolerant!!!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Texas (DFW)
Posts: 9,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrg View Post
They are called brake reservoir grommets and they do need to be replaced once in a while. The reservoir wiggles out (straight up) and the grommets will pop right out and the new ones right in (it takes two). It's an easy job if you don't count having to bleed all the air out afterward. Don't sweat the draining, both chambers will drain in about 3 seconds when you remove the resevoir, be prepared to catch it in a towel or some rags. Clean up the reservoir (I flushed mine with some fresh fluid), wet the two nipples on the bottom of the resevoir with brake fluid so they slide in easier and then align and press down on the resevoir until it seats. Refill, flush with clean fluid and bleed the air out. That's it.

I was going to ask how best to replace these grommets, as the wagon master cylinder is hemorrhaging fluid out of these rubber seals. Then I thought, "use the search idiot!"
I replaced the firewall accelerator linkage assy tonight [from Scar, thank you] and the reservoir is the perfect place for your elbow during said replacement. This made the leak much worse!
I have the 2 grommets [thanks Hitman!] and will probably try replacing tomorrow. I read several threads on replacing these grommets. Some said the brakes will need bleeding, some said they won't. Anybody know for sure?
I have read a thread before where the poster had trouble seating the reservior into the grommets. The post above makes it sound simple. Let's hope.....
__________________
Jimmy L.
'05 Acura TL 6MT
2001 ML430 My Spare

Gone:
'95 E300 188K "Batmobile" Texas Unfriendly Black
'85 300TD 235K "The Wagon" Texas Friendly White
'80 240D 154K "China" Scar engine installed
'81 300TD 240K "Smash"
'80 240D 230K "The Squash"
'81 240D 293K"Scar" Rear ended harder than Elton John
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyL View Post
I have read a thread before where the poster had trouble seating the reservior into the grommets. The post above makes it sound simple. Let's hope.....
If you are not careful, it's easy to snap a nipple off an old (and brittle) reservoir.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-18-2007, 12:11 AM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnguyen View Post
I saw a little plastic plug on the right side of the reservoir (in the image) and wondered whether this plug is used to drain the old fluid from the inner "chamber"?
That nipple is for cars with manual transmissions. A tube goes from the nipple down to the master cylinder for the clutch.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page