View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=KenP]Once you get through the perceptions that seem to follow the W140s around, most of this thread is good news for the average guy. They are not possessed by the devil, they aren't unreliable (in my experience), but they aren't a simple car either.
Lets talk facts.
My W140 Coupe, in 1996, cost the original owner a bit over $105,000. That was a pretty significant chunk of change ten years ago. To me, its still a pretty good chunk of change.
Frankly there isn't much of a used market for luxury cars. Check any newspaper, its not unique to Mercedes
[QUOTE]

you are very lucky...and not a typical case. I don't think..as that AC issue ,that just about all of them seemed to have, with the evap core is very real. I have yet to talk to anyone that one over 3 years that has not has that occurance. And in some cases(mine included) more than once
As for resale amng luxury cars....look at any porsche vehicle..or evel the 2001 and newer LS430
As for the 105,000 sticker that you mentioned...I am absolutely sure that the car sold for WAY below that figure...almost like those GM cars that have that sticker but actually sell for 10-13K below that price
I don't think any 140 (perhaps the first few delivered maybe) sold for anywhere near their sticker..my thoughts are that realistically the retail sales were somewhere between 10-15% off the sticker price,,,,still a substantial amount of money for sure...but 10-15K less than the sticker

Warren
1992 300SD(sold)
2000 BMW 740I
Columbus Ohio