View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala
i believe the dealers are quoting around 15-16 hours for the W124 evap.

As I recall the warranty company paid for 28 hours of labor( per their labor book) to do this job when mine was done on the SD back in 2000...althought I think the tech did the actual job in about 20 hours...as I recall it took him 2 full days...however he also had to replace the climate control push button unit and a couple of lights that illuminated the temp gauge in the dash and one of the dash vents as I recall.

My thoughts on a job this intense is I would be very careful about who I let tought the car. I have seen the complexity of all that wiring that has to come out of the 140 to get to the evap core..and my thoughts would be if the dealer screwed up you always had the zone rep(whom I had several conversations with while I owned that car) that was going to take care of you ..perhaps at MB's expense ay another dealer if necessary

I was was very anal about the car and everything had to work 100% and to MB spec..maybe that why my repair costs were so high.
In fact my dealer tech used to tell me that I was a little too picky to be driving a car that old

But honestly whomever owns that car now should be enjoying as it should have had every bug/update done. My tech used to tell me that many of the parts that he replaced,including the engine, had many changes compared to the failed part that was removed.
Would I own another 140?...probably not...its not that I don't think they are great cars I think I honesly like the handling of the new 220 of the 7 series car better...although honestly I have never driven another car that offered the ride and comfort of the 140 car...and who knows as inexpensive as they are getting to be..I might consider it again....
I paid $25k for the 300SD ,that I owned, in 1998 and it was a one owner car with full MB dealer records(sold and serviced at the same place) and it was the right color,silver. These days you can get a 1999 S500 with 45K one owner miles for less than that. That still amazes me

Warren
1992 300SD(sold)
2000 BMW 740I
Columbus Ohio