Thread: 107 Questions
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 05:55 PM
General Purpose Geek

1. What kind of oil are you using? I've found that the action of the gauge is very dependent on the oil grade. MAYBE your oil is a little lightweight? What year/how many miles are on the car?

2. The marks are supposed to represent 80-100C. Your thermostat is working, but maybe it is old and behaving strangely. It's a three state with "all closed", "the analog area between all closed and all open", and wide open. I had one that was stuck all open (not quite as bad as stuck closed, but still not good), so the engine would never go able the middle mark, even in the summer, and lower than that it cold weather. Newer 107's have higher normal temperatures than older ones; but I would be a little uncomfortable with hitting the third mark all the time, particularly at this time of the year. I'd replace the thermostat.

It's also possible that the temperature sender is old and giving bogus readings; it's location depends on what year you have.

Other than saying it requires immediate attention, I don't have any ideas on 3 and 4.
Daily Driver Project

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm