View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 12:15 AM
'84 300SD W126/OM617

The Current State of Consumer Biodiesel in New Jersey

As I got interested in the possibility of using biodiesel at some point down the road (no pun intended), I started looking for information on any biodiesel available to consumers in New Jersey. Since I don't own a house, fuel storage in large containers is out of question for me, so if I will be using biodiesel, I do need it to come from a retail fuel pump and be somewhat near the place I live/work.

I found a flyer on the web about the biodiesel incentive program in NJ, mostly for commercial and government fleet, and I then decided to write an email to the contact person for the incentive, Ellen Bourbon.

Here is what she had to say about the current state of biodiesel in New Jersey:

Quote:
Hi Denis,

Right now, there are no public locations in New Jersey where you can buy biodiesel at retail. There are a number of local governments and several school districts that are currently using biodiesel, and we will be launching programs this summer with the state colleges and universities and the soybean farmers, to get them to start using biodiesel. Our office is also working with the N.J. Dept. of Environmental Protection, the N.J. Soybean Board and the Fuel Merchants Association of N.J. to promote the use of biodiesel blends, both as a vehicle fuel and as a home heating fuel. We are hopeful that we will have biodiesel available at retail in the near future.

Feel free to give me a call at 609-984-3058 if you have any other questions about biodiesel. You can also check out the National Biodiesel Board's website at www.biodiesel.org. They have quite a bit of information on biodoiesel usage throughout the country.

Thank you for your interest.

Ellen Bourbon