View Single Post
Old 05-20-2006, 04:55 PM
How did I get here?

Transmission issue in 1985 300D

So, I've developed a transmission issue in Goldbug. Goldbug is a 1985 300D chassis (California emissions) with a 1983 300SD engine (not California emissions). The transmission is the original one from the 1985, California emissions (which is apparently different than that for non-California emissions for the 1985 model year). When I reassembled the engine with the transmission, two things of note happened/occurred:
1) I replaced the black modulator valve of the California emissions with the Green on for the federal emissions, because I figured that the engine was now effectively a Federal emissions car. This info is included for completeness.
2) I broke the front hydraulic pump, which then had to be replaced with a used one, after I sought professional help.

Car drove away well from the mechanic's place, albeit with a cloud of smoke which resolved with a valve adjustment, rebuilt injectors, new fuel filters and draining the fuel tank.

So, I proudly drove Goldbug over to take its Arizona emissions test, which measures opacity of the exhaust. She passed with flying colors, scoring a 1.1%, with 30% passing. Hooray!

On the way back unfortunately (don't these posts always have this particular inflection point?), I stopped at a light. Car was driving great. Light turns green. I push down pedal. Car moves ahead, only slowly. Then car doesn't upshift. I manage to get across intersection, pull over, check transmission fluid, have to back up (which works fine, no problem), so I take off again. Car generally behaves as if transmission on last legs, maximum speed about 25 mph. A couple times, it seems to imperceptible upshift, allowing me to gradually accelerate to 40-45 mph, although I did not perceive upshift. I straggle home, park car in driveway and use other car for transport.

Next day, I start car, no forward gears, but reverse works fine, strong, no problem.

Any thoughts from anyone regarding problem, and also protocol to round up the ususal suspects, before I resort to professional help? Little thing or big bad dead transmission thing? In the words of Ben Stein in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," "Anyone? Anyone?"

1991 420SEL 201K "The Big Blue One"
1985 300DT 205K chassis/285K engine nee California emissions "Goldbug"
1983 300TDT 255K "The Womble"
1983 300 DT 214K "Sea Sprite"-Rear-ended a truck
1983 300SD 285K "The Donor" Gave his life so that others can live
1980 500SL Euro 105K "Der Panzer"