View Single Post
Old 09-17-2001, 08:58 PM

Tom:

The junk yards are full of these things, and new fenders, etc are still available, too.

You need a new window switch -- $18.00. I've only seen one bad wire on one of these things (the safety switch on the 220D is another story!)

And do yourself a favor (and save the trunk and floorpans) -- get both windshield gaskets replaced. They run about $70 each and are shot by now, and leaking water everywhere. Just don't let anyone use any kind of sealant on them (most glass places are addicted the the black self-vulcanizing POS sealant). If you do, you will end up with the mess my brother had -- damned windshield leaked from the day of installation, as the gasket didn't have time to mold to the body before the black s....... hardened! Rotted the entire floor pans and trunk out! The gasket needs only to be lubricated with silicon spray and installed. The body lip, however, must be perfectly clean and smooth, no rust or rough spots, or it will leak. Undulations are fine, just no rough spots. Any rust must be fixed and repainted before installation, so you may have to remove windows and do repair work, then have the glass place come and install in your drive.

Good luck! For sheer driving pleasure, I like the 115s the best -- my W124 is wonderful for long trips, but somehow lacks some of the panache of the 220D!

Ryan: try some wheel bearing grease on the switch contacts if you insist on trying to clean them -- if they are open to the air, they corrode when they spark. Swtiches are cheap enough I don't bother to try to fix them anymore, just replace and forget!

Peter
1985 Volvo 740 GLE Turobodiesel 218,000
1972 280 SE 4.5 165, 000 - It runs!

Last edited by psfred; 09-17-2001 at 09:06 PM.