View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 01:05 AM

300d fuel starvation

I've been sucessfully running WVO through a Plantdrive 2 tank kit (start/stop on separate diesel fuel lines) for almost 10k miles with fuel starvation issues only when a filter was clogging (usually the diesel secondary), and usually as a result of insufficiently filtered oil (fuel). Recently I've had algae (I suspect, as it is a green sludge) in my VO fuel processing barrels that I treated with an algaecide from a pool supply store. Today the car was acting like it had a clogging diesel filter again even though it was replaced a couple days ago, so I ran on diesel instead of VO but 5 minutes later it lost power so it could not maintain highway speeds and eventually stalled. AAA saved me and once home I replaced the diesel filter again and ran only on diesel (the diesel and VO fuel lines are separate except between the switching valve and lift pump - about 24 inches - they are shared). It ran OK but after about 10 minutes same symptoms - would barely run 40MPH then it struggled just to continue running in neutral with my foot buried in the floor. It stalled and a couple minutes later I got it started again and returned home under "normal" power but at slower speeds (<40MPH). Later I started it and it ran for about 15 seconds and died. The secondary filter "shows" fuel in it but the engine REALLY has to be coaxed just to maintain 1000 RPM at full load.

Tomorrow I'm going to blow out the fuel lines with my compressor and if that doesn't help I'm attacking (replacing) the lift pump, as with clear lines and a new filter but no fuel delivery what else is there to accuse? Any thoughts/possible solutions appreciated as I'm running out of options.

Last edited by blhfla; 11-18-2006 at 01:08 AM. Reason: clarification