View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscmc1 View Post
...apparently they install and maintain panels for "free" while you keep paying the same utility rate for XX number of years. I suppose that means that if the panels make more than your home consumes, they get the payoff from the power company for energy produced...
Here's what I found interesting on the web site...

Quote:
... "All you are required to do is pay for the electricity generated from these panels, at a fixed rate that is at or below your current electricity price, for up to twenty-five years."
My take is that you will use the same electrical energy to run your house, and now get to pay TWO electrical energy bills:
  • To your utility for energy used during dark, cloudy days and a night, less any generated by the Photovoltaic (PV) cells.
  • To this other company for energy the PV system does generate during the day.
Your total electric bills do not, then, really change much if at all.

Your utility company will lose some revenue, to the extent that the energy used by the house during daylight is produced by the PV cells.

The other energy company gains revenue for energy supplied by the PVs, which I assume is metered and billed as if you were connected to a second energy company.

I see no benefit to the homeowner...