View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloff View Post
I’m locked in on a 1988 560SL with just over 37,000 miles. The car has had very little use in the past five years. Assuming the odometer is working (we’ll check it), the car has put on only about 200 miles in the past five years and 4,000 miles in the past fifteen years.

Let me know what I’m missing.

1) AC/climate control system – a weakness in the car.
2) Oiler tubes – is this something that can be replaced easily and should I get it done now?
3) Timing chain, tensioner and guides – anything that can be easily checked and anything to worry about before the drive home?
4) Oil leaks – rear main seal, head gasket
5) Plastic neck on radiator
6) Soft top condition – good chance that it is original and good chance it needs to be replaced.

Thanks for your help – hopefully it will all work out.

Len
Len,

I am concerned about the following.
1) If the car has not been driven very much there is a strong chance that the tires have flat spots which means a vibration probably between 60-75 MPH. Make sure you drive it on the freeway. You can always put on a new set of Michelins. It sounds like the investment would be worthy. Costs about $625.00??
2) Check the sterring wheel for play. This can be adjusted at the sterring box for about $85.00.
3) Check the Climate Control Center Vents for A/C cooling. Read the manual in advance to better understand what to expect with the controls.
4) Make sure that the Climate Control switches from hot to cold easily. Otherwise you may need to replace the A/C Mono Valve for about $30.00.
4) Pull the hardtop and check the soft top plastic, etc. The plastic can usually be brought back to life with either Mequires or Mothers plastic polish.

Read #5 at the following post:
Help with 560SL purchase

I don't think you should have any problems with #2,3 above but it doesn't hurt to check them. Remember you are buying a 19 year old car that costs $56K originally for you said the mid teens. Try not to expect perfection but instead put aside about $3K so you can get into the condition that suits you. And I wouldn't get any work done until you get home and settle down.

Enjoy driving it home.

2000 SL500 Silver
2000 SL500 SOLD
1989 560SL SOLD
1988 560SL SOLD