View Single Post
Old 03-25-2007, 05:39 PM
gimme a low-tech 240D

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDTag View Post
I'm sure I can get the top end issues resolved but the compression is pretty low. Well below spec on all 4 when you test it dry. Wet test is back up to spec. The cost of rebuilding the motor just couldn't be justified on a 220.

It may end up being too much of a hassle swapping the motors. If so, I'll run it until won't go and then get creative.
Another option, what I'd call a poorman's rebuild...... just replace the piston rings on the existing 220 gasoline engine. Look for *soft metal* aftermarket Swedish rings designed to mate w/ old MB bores and pistons that wont cut into bores thus causing piston slap.

You dont have to bother with total rebuild - use the same bottom end bearings, pistons, cyl head etc. JUST REPLACE THE RINGS. Swear to God have seen a new set of piston rings add another 100k+ miles to an otherwise worn out gasoline engine, specifically an M180 of mine that ran well beyond 250,000 miles.

Otherwise toughest critical part of diesel conversion will be mounting the dashboard glow plug starting system in the dash of your 220/8. Part out the 220D engine along with associated glow plug wiring and idle adjust cables plus accelerator linkage and down the road you'll be glad you did, say in another 5 yrs or so - assuming you think on your 220 as longterm vehicle good for another 15-20 yrs or 200-300k miles at least.

Aint never any logic to treating these as disposable cars, assuming they havent rusted to smitherines. And with highly desirable 114/115 body style now commanding $5k USD, figure it'll be worth at least $10k in another 8 yrs as modern cars get ridiculously crummier and more expensive by comparison.