View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARINUTS View Post
I'm trying to get more performance out of my 83 300sd. Notice I said performance and not horsepower. Increasing horsepower is great, but not at a loss of low end grunt. My main focus is Improving acceleration. I am happy with the performance above 40 mph, but getting to 40mph usually a time consuming task.

The biggest problem is my tranny starts in 2nd gear. Is there a cheap and easy way to get the tranny to start in 1st? ( without me shifting myself. ) I have heard about the valve body swap, but finding that 1st gear start valve body is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Eliminating Lag , Quicker Spool is what I was mainly thinking. I was thinking a boost controller could help with spool up, what are your thoughts on this? and then a newer, modern turbo, that spools up much quicker, not necessarily bigger, just newer technology. I have been looking into the Holset turbos, the smaller ones, no bigger than the hx30.

Please disucuss..
A properly running SD doesn't need anymore performance below the onset of boost. It should smartly accelerate at 2000 rpm and easily keep up with most traffic........unless they are racing you. If it doesn't do this, then the ALDA needs to be adjusted for more fuel..........the IP timing needs to be checked...........and the cam timing needs to be verified.

With regard to the second gear start, the SD will do this if the Bowden cable is too slack. Pop the socket off the ball and adjust the cable so that it just snaps onto the ball without any cable slack........in fact.........a bit of tension on the cable is preferable and will slightly delay the shifts.........resulting in the sense of additional performance by the driver.