View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Shouldn't any machine shop be able to check the head for being flat? I would before I send it anywheres for anything. I'm not convinced that a blown head gasket necessitates a head rebuild. Now if there was a ton of miles or it was warped, you would be right. If he sends a head that MM cannot rebuild for whatever reason, he might be out the $400 core plus the shipping.
I only have evidence from one 617 head with 175K. The head needed exhaust valves, valve guides and prechambers. Intake valves were at the lower limit.

I cannot see the benefit of doing all the work required to change the head gasket and ignoring the valve and prechamber work if your intention is to keep the vehicle for another 100K miles.

Sure, if the head was overheated badly, it certainly makes sense to check it for flatness and perform a pressure check locally, if this can be arranged.

The head that came off the SD was found to be cracked by a local shop........before I realized that they were not capable of actually rebuilding it.