View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 06:12 PM

Suspension clunks going over slight road patterns

Long story short, I hit the two right tires on a highway median at 35 mph, blew them both out, bent the tie rods. I've replaced most of the lower suspension, track rods/mounts, guide rods, control arms, ball joints, steering shock, tie rods, other thing I can't remember, what I haven't replaced yet is the shocks. New tires have worn the outer edges in front in 700 miles. I just had a Mercedes dealer alignment done, the specs are correct and the car tracks straight.

Now there is a popping/clunking sound coming from the driver's side footwell, and the passenger's as well. It happens whenever a slight incline or decline in the road happens. The searches I've done describe a similar clunk coming from the same location, and the cause is worn Guide rod mounts. However, on my car both guide rod assemblies and guide rod strut bushings were replaced. Is it possible that it is the guide rod mount that is causing the clunking, or perhaps something else? And guide rod strut bushings/ assembly, does that include the mount replaced as well? I don't really feel that the car is safe to drive at this point due to all of the clunking. I think that my car will fall to pieces around me and all that will be left is me sitting on a seat holding the steering wheel like in cartoons. Or the suspension falling apart and the car drifting into oncoming traffic, etc.