View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto huber View Post
Thanks guys, just picked up the gasket from a Mercedes dealer. Pretty thick, made of rubber.
Brian, what do you mean by professional gasket remover? Are you referring to something like the permatex remover John mentioned? I don't have a resurfacing stone of any kind, so I'll try a zip pad or steel wool.
Also, anything to watch out for when removing the oil cooler lines? I plan on pulling the oil pressure line out of the cabin rather than mess with the fitting on the filter stand, since I have read that it is rather delicate.
Exactly. The Permatex is fine.

A small stone costs next to nothing and it will hang up on any material left on the face. I strongly urge you to get one. You can use Scotchbrite to clean the face as well........but, you can't feel any irregularities with it.

I haven't had the pleasure of the oil line on the SD because it has an electric gauge. If the large nuts for the cooler lines give problems..........add a little heat to them before applying the torque. You'll find that you'll need a large wrench that is shorter than normal to get those nuts to turn. A typical 12" wrench won't work in there.