View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdoc View Post
Well, starting off in a higher gear does indeed reduce the amount of torque at the wheels so it would reduce the tendancy to cause the traction control to take over.

And, if YOU read the manual it expressly advises against switching between S and W unless you are in Park.

I think it is you that has little basic understanding of how a transmission works based upon your statements. Also, you have a chipped car with extra mods to increase power and are concerned about the extra wear and tear caused by a feature designed in by the manufacturer? Give me a break.
In Park if you switch from W to S the car will shake a bit. If you start in 2nd gear it puts more pressure on the transmission since it is harder to rev up the engine. There was a forum member who drove his vehicle in 2nd gear. He had constant transmission problems, and even had his transmission rebuilt at 100k miles. These transmissions do not take well to situations where they are stressed. Starting in second gear DOES put more stress on the transmission and Engine.

NHDOC prolonged use of the W button will cause more damage to these transmissions than running them in S mode. PM me and I will give you the contact info of the forum member and he would be more than happy to fax you the diagnosis. The reason the W mode is there is for isolated instances when you want to take off slow due to reduced traction. ASR/ESP already negates the need for the 2nd gear start.

pawosd, the sprag clutch is always transmitting torque and taking a huge brunt of the load. Do you know how the 722.6 works? Have you seen one disassembled?
You are also breaking down your transmission fluid when a greater reduction in torque multiplication is required (i.e. starting in 2nd gear).
1994 SL320
1988 560SL
1987 300TD
1982 300D
1955 300SL