View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 11:36 AM
MBCA Member

117 timing chain

In this time of elevated fuel prices Ive become more aware of the horrible fuel economy of my 450 SL-C, although its a weekend car, I figured it would still be wise to invest in some parts to improve the performance and efficiency.

While compiling a parts list I encountered something unexpected. . .

Has anyone ever had a timing chain acquire enough shack that it would rub the block? I noticed a sound coming from my engine when I would start it after its been sitting for a while, it sounded to me like a camshaft bearing that was in need of attention. The sound would go away after a minute or so and would not be consistent (ie sitting at cold idle it would come and go). It would go away with an increase in rpms.

I pulled my valve covers and this is what I found on the drivers side head. I also have a rail that needs replacement in that spot, as its damaged.

I aligned the camshaft on the passenger side and noticed the marking on the drivers side camshaft marking was out of alignment. by approximately 2mm. The harmonic balancer markings showed 10 degrees.

Now I have no idea when the timing chain was last changed and otherwise the car is in excellent shape, however the p.o. rarely drove the car so i suspect that its been a decade or two since anyone had been the engine.

Lesson here- check your timing chain. . .

Drivers side timing chain

-Current Stable-
'78 MB 450SL-C 107.024.12.020783 #3840 <Kayleen>
'85 FORD F250 6.9L Diesel <Allison>
'98 Lexus ES300 <Rachel>
Long Gone...
'74 Chevy G10...........................'99 GMC Yukon 4X4
'83 Chevy Suburban 6.2 diesel .....'99 SAAB 9-5
'90 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS............. '01 Chevy Tahoe
'98 Nissan Altima .......................'02 MB ML320
'88 Chevy Suburban V2500 4X4 6.2 diesel