View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhut2180 View Post
I have seen these called a couple different things, rain gutters, drip guards, chrome things running from front windshield to the back window of my TD. I have rust on both sides near the back and would like to figure out how to remove them without breaking them so that I dont end up buying new ones. ANyone have suggestions or done it before?? Chad have you done this with your TD??
I've removed them on my 123 sedan and there is a high risk of ruining some of the pieces. I think the wagon is similar. On the sedan, start at the front and remove the screws (2-3). Use a plastic edge at the front corner and slowly use a hammer to push the edge up and to the front. The aluminum piece is a two piece unit with the front one going more than halfway to the back. It's a wedge fit. On mine, the front half (including the black top edge) could be pried off very slowly without damage. When I got to the joint, the black top edge came off the back part so I removed the front half of the aluminum trim and all of the black top edge as one piece. The back half seemed to be a tighter fit but is also removed by working from the corner (curved) part. I don't think you can seperate the black top from the aluminum (that's what I wanted to do so I could powder coat the aluminum with black chrome) without ruining the piece. According to MB, the piece must be replaced if removed and it was pretty expensive and hard to find.

I chipped the paint putting it back on. Maybe tape the painted edge first?
1983 300D, bought new, 215k+ miles, donated to Purple Hearts veterans charity but I have parts for sale: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-benz-cars-sale/296386-fs-1-owner-83-mb-300d-turbo-rebuild-parts.html