View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
Hello, I have been researching my first MB buy for a couple of weeks now. This came up on Craig's list today. 1982 300SD mechanic's special $400. The seller told me it was a storage lien title. He opened the trunk and found the starter in it. That is all he knew about it. I have been looking for a MB with a 617.952 engine (300TD), as they seem to have the most tech info, and parts available, plus I am sure that model will fit my personality. My model list says the 300SD would have a 617.951 engine in it. What is the significance of one digit difference? Is this worth driving 50 miles to even look at? Thanks, Bill Dukes
There is very little difference between the 617.952 and 617.951. The 617.952 (300TD) had the hydraulic rear suspension so there might be some slight difference in mounting brackets and other external items. But the two basic engines are the same. For a couple of hundered dollars I'd go look at it. You might also want to move this to the diesel forum, a lot of very good info over there. There is some significant difference in the two chassis of the cars. The 300TD is a station wagon based on the W123 chassis while the 300SD is a four door sedan based on W126 chassis.