View Single Post
Old 05-10-2002, 02:08 PM
Its All Within Yourself

Wink An extra set of arms.....

Surfblau:

Excellent tips from two folks that contribute heavily to this forum. I have learned much from both of them.

But, I must say. an extra set of arms comes in very handy when putting on the new pad. I had good luck with a long broom handle or the like when there isn't an extra hand around. Start gluing one side, then, while standing on the front bumper, I kinda propped the broom handle into the engine compartment and wedged it slightly against the 'finished' corner. (the one you just glued), then worked my way around the rest of the hood pad with my now free set of arms. Whole thing took about 1/2 an hour. Keep in mind, I'm a small guy about 5'6" and 150#, so standing on the bumper did not present any issues. Your situation may be different. You might be taller and won't need the 'granny stool'.

Listen to Bill and USE THAT TARP. I was very glad I did. My old pad just about flaked apart on contact. I used a plastic ice scraper to gently help remove the old residue. I would not use metal to scrape off the old glue/pad if I were you.

Have fun with one of the easiest jobs around.

Thanks,
James

TX - luv the Dead-Head/Rainbow/Tie-Dye Benz emblem !

85 300SD 285k
Charcoal Gray/Grey MB-Tex

79 300CD 142000mi "Rabenshwarz"
Black / Black MB-Tex, Burlwood Int. TOTALLED - 10/24/02 --