View Single Post
Old 05-15-2002, 05:01 PM
moedip

Low Tech - Hi Tech - we've come a long way!

Just starting learning about my new Toy - 1930 Chevy 3 window coupe with 6 cylinder engine. Boy have things changed! This car has an oil pressure of 5 pounds hot - drips oil onto the rocker arms that have felt inserts in them. The bottom end gets lubricated with a splash system and believe it or not - It never came with an oil filter as the oil pressure was too low to push it through one. Added to that - there are no front or rear engine seals - they never needed them because of the splash system. Then to be even more unbelieveable - the motor is bolted directly to the frame! - no motor mounts! Something else that is wild is the tranny - 5 gears - one main - 1 for reverse -and 3 forward - one for each gear! Now I look at my Mercedes - WOW - what a difference!
I have an old Chevy ad from 1933 where a long haul taxi driver in Texas states that he has 200,000 miles on his 1930 Chevy six without a major rebuild. The owner's manual states to use 30 weight oil for summer and to add 10% kerosene to dilute the oil for winter use. There is no thermostat in the cooling system - the suggested way to control temp. in cold weather was to put the "appropriate size cardboard in front of the rad" to keep the temp. up.
Now we have computer designed cars - computer run cars - synthetic oils - etc etc. Have we come a long way or what?????
By the way - the car starts instantly and runs great - all the way up to 45 mph!!!:p :p :p