View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Get that tank strainer cleaned!

Changed out the tank strainer on the 300 Turbo and couldn't believe how clogged up it was. Probably should clean the tank, but we'll save that for another day. Couple things that I learned from the job.

1)if you disconnect the fuel line and the diesel flows slowly for a while and then stops, then it's probably clogged. As I found out when about 1 gallon of diesel came flying out when I took out the fuel strainer.

2)When the fuel gauge needle is around the R to 1/4, then you have about 5 gallons of diesel in the car.

3)No need to buy another fuel strainer. Simply buy the O-ring($4 at dealer) and clean out the fuel strainer with a toothbrush.

4)The best tool to remove the fuel strainer is the $25 tool that mercedes-source sells. I used a 3/4 46mm with an assortment of tools(3/4 T-bar, 1/2 to 3/4 adapter and using a vice wrench on the adapter). Just buy their tool and save yourself the headache.

5)There are 3 fuel lines in the back. The return and vent lines that are optional to change. The fitted line that is 19mm at the top and connects to the fuel strainer.

6)Change out the optional fuel lines in the back while you doing the fuel strainer. It's quite simple and easy with the diesel out of the car.

7)You might want to filter the fuel before putting it back. I used 2 home depot buckets that I bought for $2.50 each to do this. Also used a pump to put the diesel back in the car. You could use a siphon if you want.

Hope that helps someone in the future. Cheers guys Here's a pic of that strainer

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...ly15/mbsig.jpg