View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertchampion View Post
the SL's are way too small for me.

claustrophobic, in fact.

and no trunk room.

more to the point, dbag targets the usa as a major market for its vehicles.

if germany is #1 in dbag sales, the usa must be #2.

and dbag isn't paying attention to its major export market? come on. be smart[don't be a smart car, however. what a catastrophe].

even if i were 72" even, there would still be no acceptable room in the back seats of any of the coupes that i own.
Don't you think that if Benz designed the vehicles specifically for the US market they would at the very least have cup holders (back in the day)? Don't forget the whole Euro schpeel...you have the option to have NO options on your MB. The only reason the US is a major market for MB specifically is because MB can load up on the options of the car and make them "standard" to increase the price of the vehicle and people here in the states buy them because they're limited to those options and whatever packages MB offers. More money for MB because they can load up the cars with "options", that's the only reason US is major market.

Now, just because US is a major market for MB, doesn't mean they had to design the cars for it. When these cars were made, cost was no option. They didn't care if the car they designed was for any type of market, they built a car that everyone KNEW was the best of the best and in a way, it was and still is. MB built a car that was up to German standards, and back then, people were happy to buy them! Designed for US? I think not! Designed for the world? Maybe. Designed by Germans that fit Germans (AND MOST OF THE WORLD) comfortably? Most likely.

I doubt the Germans had an American sit in a prototype in a comfortable position while they measured the rear seat. You most likely had the average German measuring and designing everything. Germans are on average less than 6' tall. These cars were very roomy and luxurious for them in the back, because on average, they're less than 6' tall.

A comfortable position for the average German most likely leaves a lot more room in the rear for another German to climb into comfortably. The Germans know what they're doing...obviously, as you're still driving those cars today.

If you're not the average German there won't be room. Besides, without rear seats, I think the coupes (with their size) would look absolutely ridiculous. These cars are unique 2+2 coupes, I bought it because it was roomy, comfortable, and because I'm a dumb teenager who appreciates some of the finest German engineering to date.

If you haven't noticed, the seat positioning and the positioning of the invisible B pillar are offset. Hence the need for the extendo arm seatbelt. I'm sure you can guess why the Germans designed it this way.

You didn't have to buy a coupe, you know. If it irritates you so much, just remove the seats, cut out a template out of plywood, and upholster it with matching carpeting. Just sayin'.

Last edited by bsmuwk; 10-21-2009 at 10:36 PM.