View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Unbanned...?

500E M119 timing chain rail replacement question

Hey guys,

I was working on getting my spare 500E motor ready when I noticed the top of one chain rail was snapped off - see attached photo. It's the upper, inside rail, the one which is the same on left + right sides, part number 119-052-11-16. My question is, what is required to replace these rails? I can't find the procedure anywhere in the W124 CD-ROM, nor the WIS. I assume it's one of those things that MB thinks is so simple they don't have to explain it, but for someone like me who has never done this, I could use a little guidance.

Do I just need to remove the camshaft gears / adjusters, pull the chain out of the way, remove the locating pins, and the rail pops out? I really do NOT want to pull the timing cover on this engine if I can avoid it. From what I can tell, there is only one rail that requires timing cover removal, and I'm going to hope that one is ok; and just replace the others. I searched both 500 forums and PeachParts, seems that most people either just replace the top rails (above the camshafts), or pay the mechanic to do everything. A couple folks pulled the timing cover and changed all of them but that's not in my plans for this motor right now - that's a separate project for next year.

If anyone has tips about how to R&R those inside/upper rails, and also the long curved rail on the passenger side, I'd greatly appreciate any assistance... thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
500E M119 timing chain rail replacement question-rail_broke.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 05-3330_rails.pdf (55.4 KB, 440 views)

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!