View Single Post
Old 07-18-2002, 01:02 PM

Zaino VS Meguiars Comparison

Let me begin by saying that I am the least biased person nor do I have favorotism when it comes to automobile polish. That said I found something very interesting that I wanted to share with forum members.

A bit of backround. My car is a 92 Pearl Black MB and the paint would be considered to be "Good Shape" but not perfect. It has minor surface scratches and a bit of etching (a good eye will see them). When I purchased the car I used a clay bar on the entire car after a dawn wash. Here is where the comparison starts.

I applied the Z1 according to directions and then applied 4 coats of Z5. Finally I've applied 3 coats of Z2 with the last one around 1 week ago. Keep in mind I haven't driven the car in over a week and its kept in the garage.

Yesterday I had a meeting with Meguiars and Mike Phillips was kind enough to do a few comparison tests of three of their products on top of the Zaino that was there. Here is what I found with each product.

Test 1. The first product was the Meguiars Liquid Medallion Premium Paint Protection. This was applied to 1/3 of the hood and was left to sit approximately 1 hour. The wax was very easy to apply and remove, almost as easy as the Zaino although a bit more product was used. After wiping the surface I was not super impressed by the results. It seemed to leave a haze over the paint and didn't have the reflective qualities of the Zaino. Mike stated that is worked best on Black cars from his own testing. Read On.........

Test 2. The second product was Meguiars Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Car Wax. This was applied onto 1/3 of the hood as well and was allowed to dry 1 hour. This also wiped off very easy, not quite as easy as the Zaino or Medallion but easy enough. But when I finished wiping I stood back in complete shock. You could see a perfect line where the Gold Class and Zaino met each other. The Meguiars was a much much deeper richer and more reflective surface. I couldn't believe it. I've had this product sitting in my garage forever and never though it would look better than the Zaino.

Test 3. The final test used (a new formula product) Meguiars Cleaner Wax for clear coat. This was applied onto 1/2 of my trunk and allowed to dry for 30 minutes. After wiping this product which was extremely easy to remove I could not tell any difference between it and the Zaino. Same reflective qualities and depth of shine. I believe this can be found in most Auto Parts Stores

Please feel free to ask any questions and obviously come to your own conclusions. I've already decided that Gold Class is my favorite and the remainder of the Zaino is for my wifes car!

Current:
02 C32 AMG

Previous:
92 500E
84 190E 2.3 5 Spd