View Single Post
Old 07-29-2002, 01:16 AM

Took my diff out

Well here is the story....
My car has had a winning noise coming from the rear for some time now. I thought it was the wheel baring. So today I get under my car and proceed to take my axle out to replace the baring. Well I take the passenger side out (axle) and it is fine so I then say well the noise may have been coming from the drivers side. I take the drivers side axle out and, you guessed it it was fine.
I then started the car to see if my diff was making a noise, and sure enough my diff was winning (well in that general area). Since I had the axles out I figured I should take the diff out (just for fun). At least I can clean it up and do a good fluid change. BTW can anyone recommend a good weight to use? So while the diff was on the counter I checked it for play and found a bit of slop so I will open up the diff tomorrow and see what it looks like, and also check the specs.
No big deal for me it was fun.

Now my question, my car is a 124.034 I have a list of other cars with gears that I would like to check out but the list (from the service CD) is only in numbers not by model. For instance I would like to know what model is the 140.134 I know it is an S class but not which one. I think that the numbers in the CD are euro because it says that the E420 has 2.65 gears when I know that North America only got 2.24

I just had to tell someone.

Here is a pic for fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Took my diff out-diff.jpg  
(E420 has passed away)
The best way to contat me is e-mail.